Ketone meter

Advice on getting your bloods back to normal after a Cycle

Moderator: MOO

Endogenisis

Ketone meter

Postby Endogenisis » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:29 am

Hi guys, I’m after some advice. I’m currently wanting to get into Ketosis and require a blood test machine thing, see I don’t really know much about it and would love to pick the brains of those who know what to buy and what not to buy
Thanks in advance

Robbie

Re: Ketone meter

Postby Robbie » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:54 am

Why do you need to monitor your ketones?

As someone who isn't a major fan of keto, I'd also ask why ketosis?

Abs-Sent

Postby Abs-Sent » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:49 am

Endogenisis wrote:Hi guys, I’m after some advice. I’m currently wanting to get into Ketosis and require a blood test machine thing, see I don’t really know much about it and would love to pick the brains of those who know what to buy and what not to buy
Thanks in advance

Full disclaimer, I haven't done this. Personally, perhaps like Robbie, I don't see the need to go to the extremes of ketosis but it certainly provides results for those that can tolerate it. That said, it seems the strips you immerse in a urine are accurate enough for diet means, although there are also pinprick blood strips, machines and breath based tools you can use too is if you want to go down that route. This link runs through most of it (it's not a medical journal or anything but covers in enough detail) and others can chime in with the methods and brands they use:
https://www.nutritionadvance.com/measur ... st-strips/

Endogenisis

Postby Endogenisis » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:13 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Just struggling with last half a stone drop. Wanted to try something new as getting board with calorie counting

Endogenisis

Postby Endogenisis » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:37 pm

Robbie wrote:Why do you need to monitor your ketones?

Hey their mate, been reading a lot about Ketosis recently, but more regarding Alzheimer’s and autism ( which my son Has) and I suppose I just got it in my head to try it lol. Do you not rate it? All I’m tryna do at the minute is recomp

Inception

Postby Inception » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:21 am

Endogenisis wrote:

Hey their mate, been reading a lot about Ketosis recently, but more regarding Alzheimer’s and autism ( which my son Has) and I suppose I just got it in my head to try it lol. Do you not rate it? All I’m tryna do at the minute is recomp

There is some great reading oyt there on these topics isn't there Endo, I lost a few hours the other day to it.....I stumbeld across some information about the keto diet and it's benefits to those with CV issues, Alzheimers, autism etc the other day when I was looking up MCT oils.

I didn't read that much into the autistic parts in all honesty but seem to remember that the C8 fatty acid, caprylic acid, and monolaurin were mentioned. Have you tried your son on keto?

Robbie

Postby Robbie » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:38 am

Endogenisis wrote:Thanks for the input guys. Just struggling with last half a stone drop. Wanted to try something new as getting board with calorie counting

Calories still need to be counted with keto, you'll just swap carbs for fat (and if doing it true keto style probably dropping protein down as well).

Personally I don't think it's the best way to diet for a bodybuilder. Carb cycling is my preference.

Some people seem to get some great results from doing keto(ish) though, just don't expect miracles.
----
For someone who doesn't train however it makes more sense, my wife who's diet is about 95% carbs is actually looking to make the change (I couldn't convince her, but Joe Rogan has!). I think it will possibly be life changing for her and some of her own medical issues.

Endogenisis

Postby Endogenisis » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:08 pm

Inception wrote:
Endogenisis wrote:

There is some great reading oyt there on these topics isn't there Endo, I lost a few hours the other day to it.....I stumbeld across some information about the keto diet and it's benefits to those with CV issues, Alzheimers, autism etc the other day when I was looking up MCT oils.

I didn't read that much into the autistic parts in all honesty but seem to remember that the C8 fatty acid, caprylic acid, and monolaurin were mentioned. Have you tried your son on keto?

I’d love too try him on it mate, but at the minute he’s struggling with a sensory processing disorder too. Which involves food textured so his diet is quite limited as it is. Mostly carbs lol. I’ve researched some really interesting stuff to do with autism and Alzheimer’s also. Regarding medium chain triglycerides and brain function. Basically the brains glucose function becomes vastly impaired which similarly happens with autism. Consequently a study which came about by a mistake. (Simply an autistic bloke had to go in a decompression tank after diving). has made some breakthroughs. The study was a proper double blind with a placebo group.They used children with autism and as part of the study they ingested mcts an spent long periods In a hyperbaric oxygen chamber to increase oxygen to the brain, not just in haemoglobin but in the plasma too. It’s has had huge success. Children who have never spoken were coming out after an four hours in a chamber talking for the first time. Same with Alzheimer’s. I’m trying to save for one off these chambers like 5k for a shit one lol.

Thomas

Postby Thomas » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:49 am

Endogenisis wrote:Hi guys, I’m after some advice. I’m currently wanting to get into Ketosis and require a blood test machine thing, see I don’t really know much about it and would love to pick the brains of those who know what to buy and what not to buy
Thanks in advance

If you want to do a keto diet, don't bother with keto sticks you pee on.

Best way to find out if you are in keto is a blood glucose meter and keep it below 5nmol/l

Endogenisis

Postby Endogenisis » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 am

So been going Keto these last few. TRT test.. 50mg var dunning. Seeing a pretty rapid recomp lost inches on the waist, muscles fuller, more dense vascularity coming. Doing exactly what I need. Not after mass just keying in the diet and using var as anticatabolic.

Return to “Blood Tests & Health”