Carbs and cutting

Talk about Anything

Moderator: MOO

Chris GW

Carbs and cutting

Postby Chris GW » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:35 pm

When cutting bodyfat, do you guys find it more beneficial to greatly reduce carbs? I know it's calories in vs calories out ultimately...but there must be a reason many bodybuilders like, or should I say, choose to cut on lower carbs? Just interested to hear other's preferences on this matter. Do you find there's an optimum level? Grams of carbs? Specific timing? Etc

I know this is hugely individual but id like to hear what works for you and why...still trying to find that ultimate cutting diet for myself so am open to inspiration.
If you think you can, you can.
If you think you can't, you can't.
Either way, you're right...

Viz

Re: Carbs and cutting

Postby Viz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:40 pm

You wanting to loose weight or cut - cut as in for a contest? Sorry for what may be a daft question but it sort of isn't. The carbs thing is normally the last part of a contest cut and does a very specific work. That work is one of the last few components of a process that would have started five or six months previously for a pro body builder.
Strive for continuous improvement, instead of perfection.

Chris GW

Postby Chris GW » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:47 pm

No just losing weight mate, no comp and this is just a hobby for me. I guess what you're going to say is that guys will gradually pull kcal from carbs over time? Not to put words in your mouth though! Is that always the case though? Would anyone ever start a cut on low-ish carbs or is it preferable to keep them as high as poss for as long as poss?

Viz

Postby Viz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:56 pm

Nah - what I would suggest is that you find out what works for your body and to mix your carbs up.

First up you have to find out what your daily cal maintenance requirements are. Google is your friend there as there are plenty online tools that will help you, or your bathroom scale if one of those smart scales.

Then plan your diet accordingly. All you really need to understand is that carbs are NOT the enemy. They are important to training hard, and the harder your train the better it is for you. Eating too much total cal, and worse hollow cal is what is bad. Hollow or bad calories are refined sugars or foods. If you can keep your carbs low GI carbs then you are good to go.

This is a good rule of thumb for protein and carb intake. Don't include fats in the protein totals please.

1 gram of carbohydrate and 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight each day.

But ultimately you only need a minimum of 50 cal less than you need to maintain your body weight and an extra 30 mins cardio after each session to see a real difference. True weight loss takes months, there is no instant fix. Sure you can go on a Ket diet and loose heaps of weight quick, most of it will be fat too. But you will loose so much muscle mass and rebound like you can not believe if not careful.

Chris GW

Postby Chris GW » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:35 pm

I think what I've been guilty of is wanting to get results far too quickly to be honest. I've got a good base shape, 100kg at about 16% bodyfat, 6'1. I'm just not patient and I can admit that and really see that patience is what is stopping me from getting what I want.

If anything, surely it's best to keep carbs in and as high as possible for as long as possible, whilst still achieving fat loss? Also, I've heard some guys say that carbs higher than protein can be optimal...not by a lot, say 250g to 300g carbs (if those are your numbers - I just used them as an example)

I think what I need to do is start at what I believe to be maintaince for a few weeks and adjust up or down from there. It's one of those things, I know what I'm doing but have just never taken it seriously enough to be meticulous. I just wanted the opinion of others in regards to carbs on a cut.

Viz

Postby Viz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:46 pm

When I say mix the carbs up I mean one day have 50g more, the next 50g less than your base line. This keeps your body guessing. When you eat the same, day in and day out your body slows its metabolic rate down.

Base line is your maintenance cal amount of carbs for your body weight.

Chris GW

Postby Chris GW » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:53 pm

Thanks for the input- I think it's time to get tracking properly

Deads4days

Postby Deads4days » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:22 pm

Also remember the science behind carbs, when you eat them they replace lost glycogen (used when training) but when your glycogen stores are full they turn to fat storage, also a very important thing to remember when carbs are eaten they trigger insulin and insulin is anabolic, unlike test it doesn't just target muscles it doesn't discriminate and will also target fat cells so basically only eat carbs around training when your going to use and need them.

Chris GW

Postby Chris GW » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:53 pm

Yes, this is what I was getting at! In terms of nutrient timing, do you ONLY eat your carbs around training when cutting? Or just the majority of them? I find that I get very hungry through the day and like to have carbs evenly spread across meals. In your experience, does pre and post workout carbs really make a huge difference in terms of body composition when cutting?

Viz

Postby Viz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Sorry I did not get that part of your question.

The timing of your carbohydrate intake is essential for success during a cutting diet. Since carbohydrates are the bodies main source of fuel, you will want to take them at times when you are going to be most active and most likely to use up the energy they provide. This means eating larger quantities before and immediately after your workout when your body is recovering.

Generally, eating the majority of your carbohydrates around this training, as well as in the morning hours is the best approach as when you eat them in the morning you are more likely to use them up throughout the rest of your day.

Later in the evening you will want to start tapering down your carb intake focusing more on the vegetable sources in an effort to reduce total number of grams.

Return to “General Chat”