Any old sparkys on here? I need some guidance...

Talk about Anything

Moderator: MOO

billybones

Any old sparkys on here? I need some guidance...

Postby billybones » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:29 am

Are there any old sparkys on here that can tell me how close I can get to these without going bang please? The black ones are relatively new and insulated but the other two are kind of cloth looking and very old. The four coming off them and going into the house are insulated but weathered. I think the black ones are live in, I have three phase here but gave never used it, however, all cable to those bush things are very similar gauge if not identical but one of the cloth ones is about an inch from that metal downpipe so must surely knock against it in the wind which makes me think it's a neutral. I was confident that I could paint around without touching anything but once I'm up there it gets a bit of an ugly game of operation...

Bonus

Re: Any old sparkys on here? I need some guidance...

Postby Bonus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:09 pm

Billy, looks to me like a TP&N supply but without seeing where it's coming from I can't be 100%, it could be 2 x SP&N.
The fact they’re insulated is a bit worrying so I would stay the fuck away from them and if in doubt call the utility company.
The neutral will still be carrying current and contact with earth (including through a person) will probably result in a shock and given it is highly unlikely to be RCD protected and probably large sized upstream fuses, very good chance of painful death! If the metal downpipe is not earthed this could also potentially become live if the neutral touches it. Difference in potential is dangerous, would recommend you get your electrics checked out and tested mate, especially your earthing arrangements.
Get the utility company to sort out the incoming as it looks like death on a stick!
Failing that you need to wear some well insulated shoes and gloves when touching anything conductive.
Hope this helps mate :)
Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance determines your destiny.

Bonus

Postby Bonus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:10 pm

...and less of the old please! :lol:
Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance determines your destiny.

billybones

Postby billybones » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:32 pm

Cheers bonus, Lol, utility company! The 'utility company' came to my old place and replaced the meter, switched the cables and turned everything live, even the sink was 240. I will in time be putting a new consumer unit and running my own earth but until then both neutral and earth seem to go to the same place, there is a name for it involving the letters you mentioned but I don't know the order. I'll wait for the meter man to come and see if they'll switch it off for me to paint around it. This is actually quite good compared to most I've seen. Not old old, you know, more like wise old. I didn't reckon younguns still had to look at things like this. Image

Bonus

Postby Bonus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:41 pm

:shock:
Where's the fuses!
Yes mate, you need an upgrade! Urgently!
It's called a TT supply, and essentially Neutral is earh from a supply perspective, when you replace with a new consumer unit you'll need an earth stake and an RCD to protect entire installation, this is the point the neutral and earth separate.

billybones

Postby billybones » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:47 pm

Those are the fuses mate. Olde worlde out here. I've got an earth rod and some nice damp earth round the back. I know what I'm doing on the house side of the consumer unit but no clue about the incoming. My old place I wired up all new stuff next the old stuff so the 'electrician' could just hook it up to the incoming on the backs of those ceramic fuses. My cooker cable was thicker than the incoming, bizarre.

Bonus

Postby Bonus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:56 pm

Until then, might be a good idea to get a decent sized earth bond on that metal drainpipework.

billybones

Postby billybones » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Actually I could just sink that earth in and hook it to that temporarily. Always makes me laugh how UK sparks react to this stuff. But it's absolutely no different to UK wiring. Well, UK wiring 70 years ago.

billybones

Postby billybones » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:04 pm

This is their version of a cable clip, yes, it's a nail between the 2 core... Image

billybones

Postby billybones » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:10 pm

The bottom cables here...

...come direct from the back of a socket to this minisocket that a light bulb plugs into, then from the back of that to... Image

This outdoor socket for a TV. I assume it's IP rated for outdoor use, why wouldn't it be? The speaker cable powering it looks plenty waterproof!

Return to “General Chat”