Bulking, How many Calories?

Moderator: MOO

admin
Site Admin

Bulking, How many Calories?

Postby admin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:15 am

So its Offseason and we all want to bulk, of course bulking usually means adding in lots of calories and this can be expensive.
First you need to decide what type of Bulk your going to do.

The options.
1. Clean Bulk
2. Dirty Bulk

Some guys are so scared of putting fat on that they tend to get into the calorie surplus needed but only just, or with ultra clean calories.
For me personally, i enjoy a dirty bulk. Its not so dirty that its going to destroy your cholesterol, but its certainly not clean either.
I like to get as big as i can, as fast as i can, before the cutting takes place.

So lets cover a Dirty Bulk.

Firstly, decide how many meals a day you are going to eat.
Its ok for me to say you should be eating 5 or 6 meals a day, but for many of us, that just doesnt fit in with our daily rituals. eg work may get in the way, or just life in general.
6 meals a day is a tough ask.. its eating every 2 hours..
So the best thing to first work out is just how many meals a day can you manage with consistency.

For me, 5 meals a day is managable.
MEAL 1 = Breakfast around 7am - 9am
MEAL 2 = After Breakfast lunch 11am -1pm
MEAL 3 = Lunch 2pm - 4pm
MEAL 4 = Supper 5pm - 7pm
MEAL 5 = Before Bed Meal - 9pm - 11pm

So i then shoot across to the Macro Calculator
you can find it here.
https://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

Punch in your numbers, eg Height, Weight, Goal Weight Etc.
For me, my calorie tdee is 2719
that means, i need to eat 2719 calories per day to stay as i am.. eg maintain my current size.

Now we know, ROUGHLY, in order to add 1lb of weight per week, we need a calorie surplus of around 3,500 calories over the week which equates to 500calories per day.
thus 2719+500 = 3219.
If this was a clean bulk, then i wouldnt be going much more than that, id probably stretch it to 3700 calories per day, but no more.. 2lb a week gain is clean enough with the right macros, BUT anymore than that, and there is undoubtedly going to be fat gain..
But, im on a dirty bulk so i dont care..
My current calorie intake is 7000 calories per day.
This means at my current consumption. i am going to average around half a stone per week, give or take.
I have experimented with this over the last week or so, and indeed, it is showing me 1lb per day gain, so these figures estimated by the calculator are pretty close..

Ok so now that we have our calorie goals, we need to look at the foods and how we can spread so many calories over a 6 meals.
heres how my macros look..

CARBS 57% = 900grams
FAT 24% = 170grams
PROTEIN 19% = 305grams

total 6,800 calories. (200 short, no issue)

so we now try to spread those evenly over the 6 meals a day we are having.
6,800 / 6 = 1133 calories per meal.
150 grams of carbs per meal
28grams of fat per meal
51grams of protein per meal

tbh, the amount of fats we are having is probably too high, especially since my fat input is dirty fats and not necessarily the good fats we need., eg a macdonalds meal here and there is not ideal, but its a dirty bulk!...

so how does the meal plan lool.
BREAKFAST
PORRIDGE (added honey) (added banana)
WHEY PROTEIN SHAKE
4 Slices of Toast.

AFTER BREAKFAST SNACK
EGGS X 4
BEANS X 1 tin
4 Slices of Toast
Can of Soft Drink.

DINNER (note this is just yesterdays example, i dont normally do a maccys)
Quarter Pounder with Cheese meal
crispy chicken strips
Milk Shake

SUPPER
Large Yoghurt Drink
Calzone x 2

EVENING MEAL
Scrambled Egg
Bowl of Cereal

Now this isnt the ideal meal plan, im just showing you how my yesterday which by my standards was very dirty looking... but i got the calories in, and when i woke up the next day, i was 2lb heavier on the scales. accepted that i was carrying more fat, that fat will come off when we need it too later, especially since i prefer a long cut that takes the poundage down slowly.
whereas many may cut for 12-16weeks, my cut will be no less than 20 weeks.

Of Course, a better bulk, and for me today, this will be the case, will involve much better carbs and proteins.
i will substitue the maccys for example, for chicken, potato and veg.
the evening meal will be mincemeat and veg, ill also throw fruit in.

Sidlittle

Re: Bulking, How many Calories?

Postby Sidlittle » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Thanks mate, now its starting to make more sense.im oneof the guys thats scared of putting fat on lol.great explanation bud,now ive got some fiddling about with meals to do.i usually struggle with my appetite,so i get an extra 800-900 cals aday through shakesx3 and weight gainer after gym.i know everyone says i shouldnt,but its the only way i can manage it lol.
Who says that you cant teach an old dog new tricks? :lol:

Deads4days

Postby Deads4days » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:19 pm

I normally go off BMR which is very similar and use Benedict Harrison equation to find my maintenance and then either add 500+ for Bulk or deduct 250-500 for Cut re-asses every few weeks

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

Just plug your info on like with the Calc Admin posted to find your BMR(amount of calories your body burns daily to survive not including exercise)

Once you have that number you use Harris benedict(activity level)

BMR x Activity

Harris Benedict Formula
To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

My BMR is 1925.666 x 1.55 = Maintenance of 2,984.7823 so to bulk you add calories to cut you deduct, a month ago was on 2,700 calories and recently reduced to 2,600 currently lost 18.4lb since Jan 1st. Also haven't yet added in cardio and are not using any fat burners etc just cruising in 300mg test.

Sidlittle

Postby Sidlittle » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:29 pm

Cheers Deads,that helps alot.good advice given by both u and admin.my bmr is 2800,so i basically add 500 cals.it also says that my bodyfat percentage is 13.2% based on measurements that i put in??think i need to rearrange my eating habbits lol,as i do struggle with eating so many meals.thanks again fellas its appreciated.

Evilengine

Postby Evilengine » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:51 am

I am with admin, if i am bulking, it's mainly clean, but i eat A LOT...

Breakfast today was 4 large boneless chicken thighs, with 100g of rice (dry weight), followed by 100g of granola.

I had already had 40g of whey (protein grams, not weight of powder) and 70g of maltodextrin) again70g of carbs, not dry powder weight.

Not bothered to add it up, but if I were to guess...

Got to be well over 2k in calories...

Lunch will be 200g of steak and 100g of rice with veg x 2 (11:00am and 3:00pm), and I have 500g of mince to go with my rice at dinner... before i finish with protein and porridge for a carb backload before bed...

Food is the most anabolic thing you can put in you... supplementation is the icing on the cake.

Sidlittle

Postby Sidlittle » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:18 pm

Cheers for the advice EVIL, its appreciated mate.im trying to act on all the good advice ive been given, but make it work for me, as i said b4 i struggle with so many meals but im changing my gameplan bit by bit and im sure with the advice im getting I WILL get to where i want to be :)

Evilengine

Postby Evilengine » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:38 pm

Sidlittle wrote:Cheers for the advice EVIL, its appreciated mate.im trying to act on all the good advice ive been given, but make it work for me, as i said b4 i struggle with so many meals but im changing my gameplan bit by bit and im sure with the advice im getting I WILL get to where i want to be :)

You need to pack in some calorie dense food if you struggle to get meals in. Try taking two scoops of protein powder, two large table spoons of Peanut butter, 50g oats, 4 whole eggs and a banana and blend it up with a pint of full fat milk Add ice to keep it cold and sip it through the day. Use a quality blender or it's a bit "bitty".

That's 1395 calories right there.

Fat = 65.95g
Protein = 110.2g
Carbs = 99g

Work your way through one of these plus whatever else you can manage as your "normal" meals and you'll see a difference.

Abs-Sent

Postby Abs-Sent » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:59 pm

I love threads like this. Good info guys - I need to reboot my nutrition, I've got a lot of it nailed down 75% of the time but at my age just going off the rails a little fucks things right up. I'm back down to 29/30inch waist (I'm 5ft7 though) but I'm missin' the mass. time to size up again :twisted:

Sidlittle

Postby Sidlittle » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:12 pm

Evilengine wrote:
Sidlittle wrote:Cheers for the advice EVIL, its appreciated mate.im trying to act on all the good advice ive been given, but make it work for me, as i said b4 i struggle with so many meals but im changing my gameplan bit by bit and im sure with the advice im getting I WILL get to where i want to be :)

You need to pack in some calorie dense food if you struggle to get meals in. Try taking two scoops of protein powder, two large table spoons of Peanut butter, 50g oats, 4 whole eggs and a banana and blend it up with a pint of full fat milk Add ice to keep it cold and sip it through the day. Use a quality blender or it's a bit "bitty".

That's 1395 calories right there.

Fat = 65.95g
Protein = 110.2g
Carbs = 99g

Work your way through one of these plus whatever else you can manage as your "normal" meals and you'll see a difference.[/
quote]
Thats definitely a shake i could manage,cheers EVIL mate.ill give it a shot

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:30 pm

guys, this is a REALLY easy lay out and its going to reward you with 3700+ calories.

its clean and its easy and most of all, dam tasty!!!

its my clean cutter, its a slow cutter (for me, with cardio x 1 per day and weights x 1 per day)
TOTAL CALORIES 3,734
CARBS 367g (41%)
FAT 75g (19%)
PROTEIN 356g (40%)

BREAKFAST. (148gram carbs / fat 31 / protein 83)
hardgainer extreme 125g (made with skimmed milk)
porridge 110g (made with skimmed milk)

AFTER BREAKFAST SNACK (86gram carbs / fat 11 / protein 22)
EGGS X 4 (2 egg whites, and 2 full eggs)
white rice 100gram
balsamic vinegar (1 tablespoon)

DINNER (carbs 34gram / fat 6gram / protein 55)
200g chicken breast
100g broccoli
100g jacket potato
bisto gravy

SUPPER (carbs 75gram / fat 15gram / protein 88)
350g jacket potato
250g mince beef 5%

BEFORE BED (carbs 24g / fat 15g / protein 108g)
pure whey banana shake with skimmed milk

WITH Cardio added in at around 500-600 calories burnt, this diet cuts me up slowly.

Return to “Diet, Nutrition & Training”