poor grip strength

Moderator: MOO

Crn1969

poor grip strength

Postby Crn1969 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:13 pm

hello everyone i am looking for a bit of advice i had an operation on my forearm/elbow a couple of years ago that hasnt healed very well and because of this i have pretty crap grip strength and some pain. i want to continue doing my training and wondered if anyone had any ideas for biceps /triceps exercises that wont stress elbow area or need good grip strength.cheers.

Littletodd

Re: poor grip strength

Postby Littletodd » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:22 pm

It's trial & error more than anything bud, work out which exercises you can do without pain.

Also go for lighter weights but higher rep ranges, slow controlled reps to maximise time under tension etc. Don't be afraid to go as high as 20-30 reps, this will aggregate the injury less than a heavier weight for less reps.
Massive, Ripped, Natural <<<< Pick two

No amount of fat burners will substitute a calorie deficit :-)

Crn1969

Postby Crn1969 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:39 pm

yeah cheers fella been doing that really....have found that the machines cause a bit less strain on affected area, but they are not as effective as the free weight alternatives, unfortunately theres not many different options apart from curl machine or using cable machine and same for trceps ( pushdowns etc ) wondered if there may be some sort of compound exercises that may help without stressing elbow area too much but will compliment bis /tris exercises im doing ? not got much experience tbh ?

Littletodd

Postby Littletodd » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:45 pm

Ok so as for compound movements;

Bent over rows - these are for back but hit biceps pretty hard
Upright rows - shoulder movement which also hit biceps but not as hard as the above
Single arm dumbel row - Also a back movement which use biceps as a secondary
Close grip bench press - these are great for triceps
Dips - very good for triceps, if your dip station has adjustable grip width you'll want a narrower grip for triceps and a wider grip for chest
Massive, Ripped, Natural <<<< Pick two

No amount of fat burners will substitute a calorie deficit :-)

Viz

Postby Viz » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:59 pm

Can't believe I am actually going to advocate using straps. :shock: :shock: But if it is only a question of grip the straps are what you should use.

If the issue is more in the pivot point of the elbow, or if there is impingement in certain movements, then you need to look at how you are doing the exercises. It may mean you need to get a PT work with you and adapt your movement during certain exercises to NOT stress the pivot points. In other words you may find training strict form is not good for you. A PT will be able to advise you after going through all the exercises that hurt you currently.

I had to adapt how I do shoulder press, and flat bench due to an issue in my left shoulder and right elbow a few years ago. Now I don't have any discomfort any longer and both have healed.
Strive for continuous improvement, instead of perfection.

Bertyb

Postby Bertyb » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:26 am

For tris.. try a pre exhaust type method.. a good one is to do kickbacks first..i like to use an incline bench.. sit in it the wrong way round. . So forehead is resting on the bench.. perform reps with left and right hands at same time.. (not 1 side first then the other) you will only be able to use a light weight.. do a set till your burning.. then drop the weights.. spin round on the bench so your sat in it the correct way.. transition as fast as you can so no rest.. pick weights back up ( i usually have a slightly heavier 2nd set of dumbells ready.. but you need to guage it yourself start slowly.. ) pick dumbells up and perform a set of extensions / skull crushers.. whatever you wanna call em. Aim to kick the dumbells slightly back and away from you as opposed to having your arms straight up.. lowering the weight and raising back infront of you..
Another good one for a burn..
Use a d grip handle on a pulldown cable machine.. do single arm pressdowns 1st set palms facing up.. again.. it keeps the weight down as your not too strong in this position.. do 10 - 15 reps then ... either using same weight or go slightly heaver.. immediately do a 2nd set (Should be like 1 sec to transition between positions.. your only spinning your wrist round.. and maybe moving peg if needed ) of regular 1 arm pushdowns.. burns like mad if you got your 1st set right.

Crn1969

Postby Crn1969 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:06 pm

Wow .......many thanks for advice fellas didnt think i would get such in depth feedback so quickly....its much appreciated .will try a few of the things you suggest and see how elbow/forearm reacts...
Just for the record i am approaching 50 and the elbow problem is following tennis elbow surgery
That caused.more problems than it solved...a couple of the things you suggest arent really do-able as i also have a fucked right shoulder from an injury about 15 years ago so overhead motion is limited( sounds like im ready for knackers yard i know ) but im doing my best to train around these issues.....ya dont realise when your in your prime you should enjoy those years (pain free movement) coz when you get older everything hurts ha ha thanks again will post how im getting on in a few weeks.

Viz

Postby Viz » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:28 pm

Crn1969 wrote:W.
Just for the record i am approaching 50 a....ya dont realise when your in your prime you should enjoy those years (pain free movement) coz when you get older everything hurts ha ha thanks again will post how im getting on in a few weeks.

Dude that made me laugh, not at you but with you. Nodding my head as I type this. Mate for me I would give plenty to still be in my 40's, late 40's or not. Wait till you get to wave goodbye to your 60h birthday my friend and then see how hard it gets staying in shape.

Hearing about the shoulder injury just reinforces what I said about getting hold of a personal trainer that has at least a level 3 qualification and or is a physio or kinesiologist. You will be able to train again, what will change is your range of motion and what kinds of things you can do.

Keep us in the loop how it goes please.
Strive for continuous improvement, instead of perfection.

Abs-Sent

Postby Abs-Sent » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:20 pm

Also look at improving the strength of your forearms firstly, wrist curls and revecerae wrist curls (start with negative only).
Weak forearms and wrists are what lead to this so in order to really move forward you need to improve your actual grip muscles and balance your physique and strength. I've had elbow issues for 2 years. Velcro elbow steps help whilst training. Biceps -tricky! I've found high cable curls (Like your tensing your bicep with tourupparm parallel to the floor, pulling a single cable towards your forehead. Also one arm cable curls with the cable low behind you. Pulling up towards your shoulder, elbow static.
Low weight, high contraction, slow.

Crn1969

Postby Crn1969 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:53 am

yeah will look into advice from a pt...if im lucky enough to find one locally that doesnt want to sign me up to a monthly subscription ( dont really have the funds for that ) and one that has the right experience and knowledge, a lot of the ones ive seen around seem to be very young and although obviously that doesnt mean they dont know there subject i think i would be more confident consulting with someone with years of experience behind them.......especially in a situation dealing with my issue of training around specific injuries..
will defo try the different exercises you have suggested and will get some velcro grip straps sounds like good advice....just got to get past the fact that i will feel a bit of a dick using straps on a relatively low weight ha ha ha lots of cable machines in my gym so will try what ab-sent describes cheers. anyone know of a good experinced pt in the essex area?

Return to “Diet, Nutrition & Training”