Low max squat

Moderator: MOO

Kompany4

Re: Low max squat

Postby Kompany4 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks for the support lads, I did get a 2nd opinion but only at the same hospital off a consultant from the same pelvic team took me a few weeks this to get my head around it and try and adapt I can dress my top half but not my bottom half etc no way to live this especially at 30yrs old anyway sorry for hijacking the thread LT now go and squat!!!

Deads4days

Postby Deads4days » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:54 pm

Littletodd wrote:As above, I can bench 100kg for 6 but can only squat 80kg for 6!

If i'm on cycle it goes up to about 100kg but natural (which I have been for about a year) my max is pretty poor tbh. I have tried adding more plates but I end up twisting my body as I push through which indicates the weight was too much

Is there any reason for this other than weak legs?

Instead of trying to go 80 for 6 increase the weight to 100 and do 3-4 rep's the on second set increase to 110 and do 2 rep's then go.back to 8 and do as many rep's as you can do this for a few squat sessions you will soon see that you wipl.be able to surpass 8 more easily and you will.be increasing the weight.

Its just a case of conditioning your legs to react to the weight and you sort of have to take a,power lifter frame of mind and then adapt it to body building once it starts to get easier as once you smash past doing 8 with 80 try 10 then 12 with 80 then increase weight by 5 next week and start the process again also.add in longer rest between sets.

FireGoat

Postby FireGoat » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:29 pm

Littletodd wrote:As above, I can bench 100kg for 6 but can only squat 80kg for 6!

If i'm on cycle it goes up to about 100kg but natural (which I have been for about a year) my max is pretty poor tbh. I have tried adding more plates but I end up twisting my body as I push through which indicates the weight was too much

Some great advice above. But in answer to your question, I think core and flexibility play a much more important role in squatting heavy than the legs. As the saying goes: you're only as strong as your weakest link, and almost everybody would be weaker in these areas than their legs (which are carrying their full weight around all day long).

Funnily enough there's this bloke who was also on 80kg for his squat and managed to double it in only 16 weeks:

https://jamesclear.com/how-to-squat-more

He follows the Milo of Croton progressive overloading training principles where you start off real light.

I think it's a great write-up, and perhaps the most effective basic programme for increasing your squat.

The only thing I would say is that you don't necessarily need to do squats first - you can do them later on in your workout Steve Reeves-esque and you'll still have room for improvement every session.

Littletodd

Postby Littletodd » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:57 pm

FireGoat wrote:

Some great advice above. But in answer to your question, I think core and flexibility play a much more important role in squatting heavy than the legs. As the saying goes: you're only as strong as your weakest link, and almost everybody would be weaker in these areas than their legs (which are carrying their full weight around all day long).

Funnily enough there's this bloke who was also on 80kg for his squat and managed to double it in only 16 weeks:

https://jamesclear.com/how-to-squat-more

He follows the Milo of Croton progressive overloading training principles where you start off real light.

I think it's a great write-up, and perhaps the most effective basic programme for increasing your squat.

The only thing I would say is that you don't necessarily need to do squats first - you can do them later on in your workout Steve Reeves-esque and you'll still have room for improvement every session.

Just read this, I was expecting a really long complicated programme but actually very simple stuff!

Doubling your squat in 16 weeks sounds insane
Massive, Ripped, Natural <<<< Pick two

No amount of fat burners will substitute a calorie deficit :-)

Return to “Diet, Nutrition & Training”